Wednesday, December 26, 2012

maybe things won't be the same

I've been seeing it posted on a few other blogs, and I've been feeling it a bit myself, too.

Christmas didn't feel the same this year.

I looked forward to the day, loved the time with my family, stuffed myself on good food the way I always do...but it didn't feel the same way it always has.

And I think that maybe this is normal. That maybe you reach a point where things just aren't the same anymore.

And if you focus on the change, on the difference, then it might be sad. One could get quite depressed over change and unfamilarity and the like...but what's the point? Change isn't bad, just different...and maybe if we accept that things DO change, then it will be good.

Because it is good. And this year my family played games and laughed ourselves silly and had a great time, like we always do...but different.

And as long as I don't fight it...I think it's okay. As long as I don't expect everything to be the same all the time, I think Christmas will continue to be one of my favourite times of year. It's when I try to force myself to feel the same way I always did - when I don't - that it really doesn't feel right. Christmastime (and any time, really) isn't about forced feeling. It's about enjoying the time that you have with the people you love, even if that looks or feels different than it has in the past.

For the first time, I think I'm finally starting to understand that change really is good. Different, but good.

And I can't wait for 2013. Because even though my feelings change...I don't think my love of Christmas ever will.

Merry Christmas, guys.
♥ Olivia
 

1 comment:

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.